Monday, April 13, 2015

CaBRI-Med Donor-Conceived Services

The Cayman Biomedical Research Institute, or CaBRI offers testing services specifically for donor-conceived offspring and donors seeking their biological family. The cheek-swab test is ideal when there is a suspected donor-offspring or half-sibling relationship. It takes roughly eight weeks after ordering the test to get the results.

Advantages:

  • Specific for donor-conceived people and donors
  • The help I received from this service was outstanding, the receptionist kept me up-to-date on the processing of my sample through e-mails and Dr. Kirk Michael Maxey, head of the clinic there, helped me to understand my results and was very helpful and kind
  • Part of my results included a "Deduced Donor Result," which listed the STRs my donor would need to have on his X chromosome to be my biological father. It has not been helpful in finding him but was a comfort to have.
Disadvantages:
  • Cost, see this page for fees, the cheapest service is $150
  • The non-donor parent must register DNA for female participants (I had to have my mom register her DNA so the X-chromosome that came from my sperm donor) 
  • The test only tests the sex chromosomes, not autosomal (two chromosomes are tested and compared rather than all 46 chromosomes)
  • This service can only match offspring of the same sex unless the donor is also on the site
  • Cannot match distant relatives, only direct lineages. 
My Story: This was the first genetic test I took. It was very helpful because Dr. Maxey took the time to explain my results to me and what they mean. He was a sperm donor and could empathize with my situation. He is an advocate for change and greater regulation of the donor industry. You can read more about him here



No comments:

Post a Comment