Monday, April 13, 2015

23andme

23andme is a genetic website that matches biological family based on their genes. In addition, it provides a breakdown of ancestral information, health reports, chromosomal/genomic comparisons of members with consent, and interactive features such as message boards and surveys. (As of 2013 it no longer provides health reports, but data from this website can be imported and interpreted for $5 at Promethease). This test requires a saliva sample. It takes six weeks for initial processing and ethnic origins and takes a total of eight weeks for biological family members to appear.

Advantages:

  • Tons of people who can offer more insight once a genetic match is made are on this website
  • A majority of the people on this website are searching for unknown biological family, even if they are not a direct match to you, you may share similar situations and connect over similar circumstances. 
  • The test gives a breakdown of ancestral origins
  • If purchasing many tests, each additional test is 10% off
  • Cost: $99, the cheapest on the market


Disadvantages:

  • Currently does not offer health reports
  • Not all users may be willing to share information with you
  • You will need to purchase an additional test for the non-donor parent in order to be able to separate which side of your family each match comes from
  • No helpline was available at my time of use
My Story: This website matched my biological half-sister. It was also the first website to offer health reports. It is cheap, accessible, and user-friendly in ways that the other websites were not. I have used it to establish mutually-desired contact with my paternal cousins. I have also made contact with adoptees on my paternal and maternal side and I have been able to be a comfort to them. I was also able to participate in health-related surveys and help 23andme gather data for research! It is my favorite genetic website by far!

No comments:

Post a Comment