Monday, April 13, 2015

FamilyTreeDNA

FamilyTreeDNA is a genealogy-based website that matches biological family members based on their genes. It offers a variety of tests based on your gender and circumstances. It's fantastic for use by anyone, not just donor-conceived people. It is also used by anyone and is not exclusive to the donor-conceived community. It takes about eight weeks to get results and is a cheek-swab test.

Advantages:
  • Most of the people on this website enjoy genealogy and can offer personal insight once a genetic match is made
  • This website provides insight to ancestral origins
  • Prices have gone down a lot since the website began
  • Raw genetic data can be processed using Promethease to gain health information
  • This website uses autosomal DNA (the entire genome is analyzed so more relative matches can be made)
  • Has a helpline
My Story: This was the second genetic registry that I used. The people on the helpline were extremely helpful and when I asked what other registries existed they told me freely about their competition. I was very impressed by my results and it was a comfort to get the information about my ancestral origins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment